Indulge your furry friend with Homemade Peanut Butter Cupcakes for Dogs. These dog-friendly delights are not just cupcakes, they’re a labor of love.
Made with wholesome ingredients, peanut butter pupcakes are topped with a luscious drizzle of peanut butter icing that your pups won’t be able to resist. They’re great for celebrating dog birthday parties, holidays, and Gotcha Day. They will easily become your dog’s favorite treats.
FYI – This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- The Best Things About Homemade Cupcakes for Dogs
- Why You'll Love This Pupcake Recipe
- Pupcake Recipe Ingredients
- Ingredient Notes
- Equipment Needed
- How to Make Peanut Butter Pupcakes
- Recipe Variations
- Serving Size
- How to Store Dog Cupcakes
- Can humans eat these dog cupcakes?
- Dog Birthday Treat Recipe
- Great Dog Treat Recipes
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes for Dogs
The Best Things About Homemade Cupcakes for Dogs
Have you ever sat down with a cupcake only to have your four-legged friend beg with those sad little eyes? When you have a batch of these dog-friendly cupcakes on hand, you can give Fido their own treat that is made just for dogs.
Not only does giving your dog a cupcake make it feel like they are sharing dessert time with you, but they are good for your puppy too. This pupcake recipe is made with natural ingredients, all of which are fantastic for your pet’s health.
Homemade pupcakes ensure there are no toxic ingredients in them. It’s important because vanilla extract and xylitol (an artificial sweetener) are toxic to dogs.
Why You’ll Love This Pupcake Recipe
This recipe is as easy to make as a boxed mix, but it’s so much healthier for your pup. It’s a great way to celebrate your pup’s birthday.
These pupcakes are versatile, too. You can change the flavor and the frosting or make mini pupcakes with a mini muffin tin. For more ways to change it up, check out the recipe variations section below.
Plus, when you make your own cupcakes for your dog, you can use your dog’s favorite ingredients. As they bake, your dog’s tail will wag, begging for the tasty treat. And for once, they can have what comes out of the oven!
But one of the best things about it is the dog friendly frosting on top. It’s a tasty way to add something extra fun to the cupcakes.
Pupcake Recipe Ingredients
The entire list of dog-friendly ingredients, step-by-step directions, and nutritional information are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this article. First, I want to share some additional information about the simple ingredients I used in this recipe.
Here’s a list of what you need. If you want to make organic cupcakes you must use organic ingredients.
- Oat Flour – A healthy flour that’s great for making desserts and treats for dogs.
- Brown Rice Flour – Another healthy flour with vitamins and minerals.
- Baking Soda – This gives the pupcakes a light texture. Without it, they will be very dense.
- Baking Powder – Also helps the cupcakes to rise.
- Creamy Peanut Butter – The star of the cupcakes! Use natural peanut butter made with just peanuts and no added sugar or sweetener.
- Eggs – create structure and stability within the batter. They also add protein.
- Unsweetened Applesauce – Naturally sweetens the cupcakes.
- Coconut Milk – Gives the cupcake some healthy fats and fatty acids.
- Coconut Oil – To mix with peanut butter to make a tasty icing drizzle.
When you make this easy dog cupcake recipe, here are a few notes to remember.
Do not use peanut butter that contains xylitol. It is a sweetener that is toxic to dogs. It is best to use natural unsweetened peanut butter.
You can make oat flour by placing uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats in a blender or food processor and blending until it reaches flour consistency. Likewise, with brown rice flour, use uncooked brown rice.
You can substitute the oat flour or brown rice flour with regular white flour, like all-purpose flour.
If you want to use whole wheat flour, you can use it instead of brown rice flour but do not substitute the oat flour or both flours with it. This is so there is a smaller portion of the total flour that’s whole wheat. You may need to add more applesauce if the batter is too dry.
You probably have most of the kitchen items you need to make pupcakes. But just in case, here’s a list of them:
- Measuring Cups – for measuring
- Mixing Bowls – to mix the batter in.
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer – for mixing the batter.
- Muffin Pin – to bake the pupcakes
- Wire Cooling Rack – for cooling the pupcakes.
How to Make Peanut Butter Pupcakes
These are the recipe steps and photos of the process of making the pupcakes. I hope they help you make this healthy pupcake recipe!
You can scroll down to the bottom of this article for a printable recipe card.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or place paper liners (cupcake liners) in the cups.
- Combine the oat flour, brown rice flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine them together.
- Place the eggs, coconut milk, peanut butter, and applesauce in a large bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until the batter is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the greased muffin tin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the baked pupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the coconut oil in a bowl and microwave it until it’s melted.
- Add peanut butter and stir until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Drizzle the icing on top of the cupcakes. Remove the paper liners if you used them before giving the cupcakes to your dog.
Here are ideas for different cupcake flavors:
- Peanut Butter Banana Pupcakes – Substitute applesauce with mashed banana.
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Pupcakes – Substitute applesauce with plain pumpkin puree. Do not use pumpkin pie spice because it may contain spices toxic to dogs.
Peanut Butter Frosting
If you want to make creamy frosting instead of the icing drizzle, you have two options:
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Frosting – Combine 1 cup each of peanut butter and plain Greek yogurt.
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting – Combine 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with ¼ cup of creamy peanut butter.
You can either spread the frosting or use a piping bag to pipe it on top.
Pupcake Sprinkles and Toppings
Want a topping for these cupcakes? You can sprinkle on some bacon bits, crushed apple chips, finely diced apples, or crushed dog biscuits. You can also press a small Milk Bone dog biscuit into the top.
There is the option to make mini cupcakes using a mini muffin pan. You will have to reduce the baking time in half, about 10 minutes.
How many homemade pupcakes should you give your dog at once? One is plenty for an average dog – but how much is really based on your dog’s size and other factors.
Large dogs like Golden Retrievers can have a whole one but small dogs like a Chihuahua should only get part of one. These dog cupcakes are big, so be mindful of how many homemade dog treats you give to your dog.
Dogs shouldn’t overeat. They should not consume too many carbs or calories. It is important to keep dogs at a healthy weight. A special treat like these dog safe cupcakes should only happen every so often, maybe a few times a year.
How to Store Dog Cupcakes
Store the pupcakes in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For longer storage, you can freeze them in a freezer-safe container or plastic freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Can humans eat these dog cupcakes?
Oh yes, they sure can! All the ingredients in these cupcakes for dogs are safe for human consumption. But people probably won’t like them because they are not sweet.
Dog Birthday Treat Recipe
These make the cutest dog birthday treat ideas because they look so good! They are picture-perfect. Even though your pet won’t care how they look, you care – and that’s what matters.
It’s the perfect treat to give your fur baby a happy birthday. It’s made with lots of love.
These pupcakes can also be for a gotcha day, holiday, or other special occasions.
Invite all your dog parents and make some cupcakes for yourselves and then serve these dog friendly cupcakes to the furry friends that come to the party. It’s such a fun idea!
Great Dog Treat Recipes
Want to make more treats for your dog? Check out these easy dog treat recipes:
- Apple Cupcakes for Dogs
- Carob Cake for Dogs
- Carrot Cake for Dogs
- Dog Cheesecake
- No Bake Dog Cake
- Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
- Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
- Sensitive Stomach Dog Treats
- Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Want to get some store-bought treats instead of making doggy cupcakes? Check out my favorite dog treats on Amazon.
I hope your dog enjoys the pupcakes! Give belly rubs from me.
Peanut Butter Cupcakes for Dogs
- 1 cup Oat Flour
- ½ cup Brown Rice Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons Creamy Peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place the wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Use a mixer to mix them until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredient mixture. Use a mixer to mix them until the batter is well combined.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the muffin cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the oil is melted, about 30 seconds.
- Add the peanut butter and stir to combine. Microwave the mixture in 10-second increments if needed to give it a pourable consistency so it runs off a spoon.
- Drizzle the icing over each cupcake. Allow the icing to cool to room temperature.