They are crunchy and full of protein, but can dogs eat chickpeas? Yes, they can and they are actually really good for them.
You have to be careful and only let your dogs eat either raw or plain-cooked garbanzo beans. Do not let your dogs eat hummus.
Want to know why? Read on!
For ultimate pet safety, I recommend consulting with your vet about your dog eating chickpeas or anything else listed in this article.
Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas?
Yes, dogs can eat chickpeas. You just need to be careful with how much they eat and how they eat it.
If you were going to search, “can dogs eat garbanzo beans?” you’re in luck. Garbonzo beans and chickpeas are exactly the same food. They are both scientifically called Cicer arietinum.
In the United States, you’ll find chickpeas and garbanzo beans used interchangeably, so I’ll use both of those names here for you too.
Are Garbanzo Beans Good For Dogs?
Yes, garbanzo beans are good for dogs to eat. They are a fantastic source of both protein and fiber. But there’s more to them than that.
Chickpeas also have:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
Nutritional Benefits of Chickpeas for Dogs
So what do all those nutrients listed above actually do for your dog? Turns out, quite a bit.
- Fiber – this helps your dog feel fuller faster and stay full longer, so it’s great for weight loss or weight management. The fiber also helps lower cholesterol.
- Protein – for building lean muscle mass
- Potassium – the combination of low sodium and high potassium dilates blood vessels and helps lower blood pressure.
- Complex Carbohydrates – they release slowly and prevent spikes and dips in blood glucose levels that simple carbs cause.
- Choline – this reduces chronic inflammation, assists in nerve impulse transmission and basically helps reduce symptoms of arthritis in your pet.
- Vitamin A – promotes eye health.
You might notice these health benefits after feeding your dog just a little bit of fresh or cooked garbanzo beans in their snacks.
- No More Constipation or Anal Gland Issues – All the fiber in the chickpeas means they have more regular bowel movements.
- Cancer Prevention – The selenium helps the liver detoxify cancer-causing agents.
Chickpeas and Dogs: Be Safe
Dogs can either eat raw chickpeas or boiled/cooked chickpeas. Avoid garbanzo beans in hummus or canned chickpeas.
Also, keep in mind that if you have a dog that is prone to frequent bouts of gas or has a sensitive stomach, this might not be a good idea. There is a high amount of fiber in chickpeas, so it might make them fart even more.
When you feed your dog chickpeas, keep on eye on them. Watch out for any digestion issues like bloating or gassiness.
I’ll explain the dangers of hummus below. But canned chickpeas could have too much salt or preservatives in them. Too much salt could hurt your dog, so it’s always best to avoid foods that are super salty.
You can also use ground up chickpeas as chickpea flour. It’s a safe alternative to wheat flour for dog treats.
Can Dogs Eat Hummus?
No, dogs should never eat commercially produced hummus. Pre-packaged hummus has garlic or onion in it. These two things are poisonous to dogs.
If you want to make hummus for your dog, it’s ok to make a homemade version that is safe for them. Just cook and mash some garbanzo beans.
Ingredients in hummus for dogs
- 1 cup boiled or plain-cooked chickpeas
- Carrot sticks
All you need to do is mash up some soft-cooked garbanzo beans in a bowl. Serve this with some carrot sticks and your dog has a healthy treat just for them.
Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas? Yes, But Only Raw or Cooked Plain
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are actually really good for your dog. Let them eat the beans raw or cook them plain with a few veggies like carrots.
Do not let your dog eat pre-packaged hummus that you bought at the store. Garlic and onion are poisonous to dogs.
Avoid canned garbanzo beans too, since it will have too much salt in it.
Find out how to cook dried chickpeas in a slow cooker on Shockingly Delicious.
More Foods Dogs Can Eat
- Can Dogs Eat Tofu?
- Nuts Dogs Can Eat and Nuts Harmful to Dogs
- Healthy Fall Foods for Dogs
- Can Dogs Eat Bugs? Insects Your Dog Can and Can’t Eat
📌 Pin this to save and share with your friends 📌