This creamy banana smoothie for dogs is the best thing you can give them for special treats. It’s refreshing on hot days.
Dogs won’t even care that it’s good for them. This is a great way to stay hydrated and enjoy a sweet dessert that doesn’t have any added sugar. Plus, this dog-friendly smoothie is super easy to whip up!
FYI – This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Benefits of Bananas for Dogs
When it comes to making smoothies for your dogs, there are lots of healthy options. This is one of my favorite smoothie recipes because it’s made with bananas, which are really good for your dog.
Bananas have plenty of vitamins and minerals, which are great for eye health and coat health. Here are some more benefits:
- Bananas are a great source of potassium, which can help support healthy heart function and prevent cardiovascular diseases. It also helps with muscle function in dogs.
- Bananas are a good source of vitamin B6, which helps with the development of red blood cells and the metabolism of protein and carbohydrates.
- Bananas are a high supply of vitamin C, which is one of the best natural antioxidants that help protect cells from damage and support a dog’s immune system.
- Bananas are a good source of dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and intestinal movement, and prevent constipation.
- Bananas are also low in fat and calories, which makes them a good option for dogs who are trying to maintain a healthy weight.
Why This is the Best Dog Smoothie Recipe
You and your pet will love this recipe. For you, it’s easy, so you can blend it up in a few minutes in the hot summer months (or throughout the year). You make it just like you make your own smoothies.
It’s made with simple healthy ingredients, which many pet owners feel so good about giving it to their dogs. The ingredients contain excellent natural antioxidants that help your dog’s body prevent common diseases.
It’s not just a great treat; it’s the perfect way to top your dog’s food with something sweet too.
You only need 3 simple ingredients to make this dog smoothie. The exact amounts are in the printable recipe card below.
- Banana – use a ripe banana. Do not use the banana peel.
- Coconut Milk – use unsweetened lite coconut milk. It’s a great source of medium-chain fatty acids.
- Greek Yogurt – use plain, low-fat, and unsweetened yogurt. It’s a great source of protein, calcium, and probiotics.
- Banana – You can substitute the banana with ⅔ cup of any dog-safe fruit. Blueberries, strawberries, and peaches are great choices and low-calorie fruits.
- Coconut Milk – You can substitute coconut milk with other non-dairy milk such as almond milk or oat milk. Goat milk is also a good option.
- Greek Yogurt – You can substitute Green yogurt with regular plain yogurt. Just note that Greek yogurt has less lactose and is a better choice. Always use unsweetened yogurt and never use any yogurt that contains xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Low-fat cottage cheese is another option.
- Measuring Cups
- Cutting Board
How to Make Dog Smoothies
- Peel and slice the banana. If you want a thicker consistency, freeze the banana slices.
- Place the banana slices, yogurt, and coconut milk in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve. Garnish with a banana slice if desired.
- Extra Fiber – Add 1 teaspoon of ground flax seeds.
- Green Smoothies for Dogs – Add 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder or ½ cup of fresh spinach.
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie for Dogs – Add ¼ cup of unsweetened creamy peanut butter.
- Pumpkin Banana Smoothie for Dogs – Add ½ cup of plain pumpkin puree.
- Shamrock Shake Smoothie for Dogs – Add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint leaves and ½ cup of fresh spinach.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie for Dogs – Add ½ cup of fresh strawberries.
- Sweet Potato Banana Smoothie for Dogs – Add ½ cup of plain mashed baked sweet potato.
How To Store and Freeze
Store the smoothie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To Freeze: Pour the smoothie into an ice cube tray and freeze. Once frozen, transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe container or plastic freezer bag. The smoothie cubes will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Tip: Make a double or triple batch and pour it into ice cube trays and freeze. These are tastier than ice cubes and are a great frozen treat for a hot summer day.
How much of a smoothie should you give your dog at once? The amount varies depending on the size of your dog. A general serving is ½ cup for a medium-sized dog. Small dogs need small amounts and vice versa for large dogs.
Always start with small quantities when introducing new foods to your dog’s diet.
Also, take into consideration the total amount of food for the day. It’s important to keep your dog’s caloric intake at a level to maintain a healthy weight.
Can People Drink this Smoothie for Dogs?
Yes, they most certainly can! All the ingredients are safe for human consumption. Make a double batch so you can enjoy a tasty banana smoothie with your dog.
📌 Pin this to save and share 📌
More Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
Do you want to make some more tasty treats for your furry friend? Try these recipes:
- Frozen Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- Ice Cream for Dogs
- Pancakes for Dogs
- Peanut Butter Dog Smoothie
- Salmon Dog Treats
- Waffles for Dogs
Banana Smoothie for Dogs
- 1 Ripe Banana
- ½ cup Lite Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- Peel and slice the banana. Freeze if a thicker consistency is desired.
- Place the coconut milk, yogurt, and banana slices in a blender.
- Blend well.
- Pour and serve.