Bacon Dog Treats with peanut butter, cheddar cheese, and banana are a tasty snack for your furry friend.
Your sweet pup deserves the very best. These bacon dog biscuits are not bacon flavored dog treats. They are bite-sized morsels made with real bacon. So, whenever you want to give your dog bacon treats, give them these healthy and tasty snacks.
FYI – This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why This Is The Best Bacon Dog Treats Recipe
These homemade dog treats are less expensive than store-bought and have simple ingredients. Your dog will probably get hungry as they bake because they will be able to smell the natural smoke flavor from the bacon.
I love making homemade dog biscuits, and these are high-protein snacks that are full of nutrients! When your dog wants a special treat, make a batch of these and share your love with your pup.
Why Homemade Bacon Dog Treats Are Better Than BegginStrips
Purina Beggin Strips for dogs is a popular store-bought treat. Unfortunately, those beggin bacon strips have food additives, artificial preservatives, and added color in them.
Beggin Strips ingredients include ground wheat, ground yellow corn, soy flour, soybean meal, oat meal, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, soy protein concentrate, calcium propionate, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid, citric acid, and food colorings (red, yellow, and blue). The nutritional information shows 3.5% crude fat and 3.5% crude fiber.
Homemade dog treats with bacon don’t have any of those extra additives or preservatives. They have simple ingredients you can get at any grocery store.
Bacon Dog Treats Ingredients
The exact ingredient amounts and step-by-step directions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this article. First, I want to share some information about the ingredients I used in this homemade bacon dog treats recipe.
Here’s a list of what you’ll need. Use organic ingredients if you want to make organic dog treats.
- Bacon – Use unsweetened bacon that doesn’t have extra sugar.
- Bacon Fat – The grease that renders out when frying the bacon.
- Banana – A really ripe banana will be easier to mash.
- Egg – Binds the dough and is a great source of protein.
- Peanut Butter – Creamy, natural, and unsweetened.
- Cheddar Cheese – For extra flavor.
- Oat Flour – Loaded with fiber and nutrients.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
When you make this dog treats recipe, there are a few things to keep in mind:
Do not use peanut butter that contains xylitol. It is a sweetener toxic to dogs.
You can substitute almond butter or SunButter (sunflower seed butter) for the peanut butter. Just make sure it does not contain xylitol.
You can substitute turkey bacon or maple bacon for regular bacon if desired.
If you do not have oat flour, you can make it by placing old-fashioned oats in a blender or food processor and blending until it has the consistency of flour.
You can substitute all purpose flour or a 50-50 combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour for the oat flour. The amount will have to be adjusted since those flours will cause the dough to have a different consistency. It will take less of those flours than almond flour. Start with 1/2 cup and only add more if the dough is too wet or sticky. Because whole wheat flour is denser, it’s not a good substitute to use by itself.
You probably have most of the kitchen items you need to make these homemade dog treats. You can use any regular silicone candy mold but a dog paw print mold gives these treats a fun look.
How To Make Bacon Dog Treats
These are the recipe steps and some photos of the process of making the treats. I hope they help you make this healthy dog treats recipe! Oh, there’s a printable recipe card below.
- Cook the strips of bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Reserve the bacon grease.
- Chop up or crumble the bacon into small pieces (like bacon bits).
- Mash the banana in a large bowl.
- Add the bacon grease, egg, and peanut butter to the bowl and combine well.
- Add the oat flour and mix well.
- Add the chopped bacon and shredded cheese and stir them into the dough.
- Place the mixture into silicone molds. Place the molds on a cookie sheet or baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove the treats from the molds and cool them completely on a wire rack.
Cut Out Treats
Don’t have any silicone molds? You can roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to cut the dough. Just add the oat flour a little at a time until it has a good rolling consistency that’s not too dry or wet.
Place the dough on a floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Use cookie cutters for dog treats to cut out the treats. Or you can use a pizza cutter to cut square or rectangular treats.
Place the cutout treats on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
How many of these homemade bacon cheddar dog treats should you give to your pup at once? That depends on the amount of food you gave your pet to eat that day and the size of your dog. Large dogs can consume more than smaller and toy breed dogs.
Treats should be considered in your dog’s daily caloric intake. Make sure you don’t exceed the recommended amount for your dog.
Dogs shouldn’t have too many treats – including these yummy peanut butter bacon cheddar dog treats. For this reason, I suggest only giving your spoiled hound one treat per day.
How to Store Homemade Bacon Dog Treats
Bacon and cheese dog treats should be stored in an airtight container. They need to be refrigerated or frozen. Do not store them at room temperature because the bacon can go rancid.
How Long Do Homemade Bacon Dog Treats Last?
Bacon cheese dog treats will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. They will last up to 4 months in the freezer.
Can Humans Eat Bacon Dog Treats?
Yes, people can eat these dog bacon treats. All the ingredients are safe for human consumption. But I doubt folks would like them.
📌 Pin this to save and share 📌
Popular Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
Want to make more treats for your dog? Here are some different types of dog treats to make:
- Applesauce Dog Treats
- Berry Pupsicles
- Blueberry Dog Treats
- Dog Treats for Bad Breath
- Homemade Dog Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
- Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
- Peanut Butter Dog Popsicles
- Satin Balls for Dogs
Find more easy dog treat recipes here on Spoiled Hounds!
Want to get the best store-bought dog treats instead of making homemade ones? Check out these favorite dog treats on my Amazon dog treats ideas list.
Bacon Dog Treats
- 2 slices Bacon
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Bacon Grease
- ⅓ cup Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Oat Flour
- 2 tablespoons Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Chop the bacon into small pieces like bacon bits. Reserve the bacon grease.
- Mash the banana in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg, bacon grease, and peanut butter to the mashed banana and combine well.
- Add the oat flour and mix well.
- Add the chopped bacon and shredded cheese and combine well.
- Place the mixture into silicone molds.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove the treats from the molds and cool completely.