Your pup will love these homemade peanut butter dog donuts! They are made with banana, oats, whole wheat flour, and eggs, so they are a tasty and healthy treat for your dog.
These doggy donuts aren’t just healthy, they are a great DIY treat for dog birthday parties too. They look good enough for people to want to sneak one for themselves!
FYI – This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- The Best Things About Dog Donuts
- Doggie Donuts Recipe Ingredients
- Important Note About Peanut Butter
- Serving Size
- Equipment Needed
- How to Make Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
- How to Store Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
- Can humans eat peanut butter dog donuts?
- Dog Birthday Treat Recipe
- Great Dog Treat Recipes
- Other Dog Donuts
- Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
The Best Things About Dog Donuts
Have you ever been enjoying a donut, only to have your four-legged friend beg with those sad little eyes? When you have a batch of these doggie donuts on hand, you can give your dog their own treat made just for them.
Not only does giving your pet a dog donut make it feel like they are sharing treat time with you, but they are actually good for your pup too. This peanut butter banana dog donut recipe has rolled oats, whole wheat flour, eggs, and coconut oil – all of which are fantastic for your pet’s health.
Benefits of Rolled Oats
Oats contain vitamin B which helps your dog maintain a healthy coat. It’s also a good source of omega-6 fatty acids that help keep a dog’s skin strong and healthy.
The soluble fiber in rolled oats helps dogs regulate their blood glucose levels. The fiber also helps dogs if they are having irregular bowel movements – it will keep them regular for sure!
Benefits of Bananas
A banana is another ingredient in this dog treat recipe. They are really high in potassium, which fortifies their muscles and is great for their heart health.
They also make the donuts taste a little sweet without increasing the calorie amounts too much. Plus, they have plenty of fiber in them too.
Doggie Donuts Recipe Ingredients
The entire list of ingredients and the step-by-step directions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this article. First, I want to share some additional information about the ingredients I used in this doggie donuts recipe.
Here’s a list of what you need. You must use organic ingredients if you want to make organic dog donuts.
- Whole Wheat Flour – Whole grains are a great source of essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Rolled Oats – Another great source of fiber and essential vitamins.
- Peanut Butter – The main flavor of these donuts and something most dogs love.
- Banana – Make sure the banana is very ripe since you will be mixing it into the batter.
- Coconut Oil – This is a healthy fat for the doggie donuts. You can use avocado oil if you don’t have coconut oil.
- Eggs – Any size egg will work perfectly in this recipe.
If you want iced and decorated dog donuts, you’ll need:
- Peanut Butter – Natural creamy peanut butter is the best choice. If your pup is allergic to peanuts, use any type of nut or seed butter – like sun butter.
- Dog Treats or Biscuits – Small ones are best for a topping.
- Bacon – Fry some bacon until crispy then break or cut it into small pieces.
Important Note About Peanut Butter
Do not use peanut butter that contains xylitol. It is a sweetener that is toxic to dogs. It is best to use natural unsweetened peanut butter.
How many homemade dog donuts should you give your dog at once? One is plenty. Definitely a portion of one for smaller dogs. These donuts are large so be mindful of how much you give to your dog.
Dogs shouldn’t overeat. They should not consume too many calories or carbohydrates. It is important to keep dogs at a healthy weight. For this reason, I suggest giving your spoiled hound only one per day.
You probably have most of the kitchen items you need to make doggy donuts. But just in case, here’s a list of them:
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing Bowls
- Mixing Spoon
- Donut Pan
- Wire Cooling Rack
How to Make Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
These are the recipe steps and photos of the process for making these peanut butter banana donuts. I hope they help you make this healthy dog donuts recipe!
You can scroll down to the bottom of this article for a printable recipe card.
- Mash the banana and melt the coconut oil.
- Into a large bowl, place the flour, oats, peanut butter, mashed banana, coconut oil and eggs.
- Mix until the dough is well combined.
- Place the dough into donut pans and press the dough into the pan to remove any air gaps.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the baked donuts to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Spread peanut butter on top for the icing. Decorate with any dog-safe toppings.
How to Store Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
Store the donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Can humans eat peanut butter dog donuts?
Oh yes, they sure can! All the ingredients in these donuts for dogs are safe for human consumption. But folks probably won’t like them because they are not sweet like doughnuts made for people. I suggest making some glazed peanut butter donuts for people.
Dog Birthday Treat Recipe
These are one of the cutest dog birthday treat ideas because they look so yummy! They are literally picture-perfect. Even though your dog won’t care how they look, you do – and that’s what matters.
Invite pet parents and friends to your dog’s birthday party and make some donuts for yourselves and then serve these dog friendly donuts to the pets that come to the party. It’s such a fun idea!
📌 Pin this to save and share 📌
Great Dog Treat Recipes
Want to make more treats for your dog? Check out these easy dog treat recipes:
- 3 Ingredient Dog Treats
- Air Fryer Dog Treats
- Apple Dog Donuts
- Banana Dog Treats
- Liver Dog Treats
- Oatmeal Dog Treats
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats
Find lots of healthy dog treat recipes here on Spoiled Hounds.
Want to get some store-bought treats instead of making doggie doughnuts? Check out my favorite dog treats on Amazon.
Other Dog Donuts
There are a couple of popular dog donut products that my spoiled hounds love. So I thought I’d share them with you.
One is the Zippypaws donut dog toy. It is one of Milo’s favorite toys.
The other is a calming donut dog bed. Zephyr snoozes on it every day.
I hope your dog enjoys the donuts! Give belly rubs from me.
Peanut Butter Dog Donuts
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1½ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1½ Cups Rolled Oats
- 2/3 Cup Natural Unsweetened Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil melted
- 2 Eggs
- Extra peanut butter, small dog treats, bacon bits, or other dog-friendly toppings (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Use a fork to mash the banana in a small bowl.
- Place flour, oats, peanut butter, mashed banana, coconut oil, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix well until a dough is formed.
- Spoon the mixture into an ungreased non-stick donut pan.
- Press the mixture down into the pan. The donuts will not rise so you don’t want to leave any gaps in the dough.
- Bake at 375°F for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Remove the donuts from the pan place them on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- If desired, spread peanut butter on top of the donuts for the icing and decorate with any desired toppings.