Are you wondering about calming collars for dogs? I’ve been using one with Milo, my fearful dog. It has helped him in his journey to overcome his fearfulness. Initially, it was to calm him in general because of being extremely fearful of everything. Since he improved with anxiety medication and CBD oil for dogs, the calming collar is used for extra stressful events such as thunderstorms, fireworks, and loud noises.
Like with Milo, your dog could benefit from wearing a calming collar during various stress times. Read on for more information…
- What is a calming collar for dogs?
- What does a calming collar do?
- How do calming collars work?
- Do calming collars work for dogs and puppies?
- Popular calming dog collars:
- What is the best calming collar for dogs?
- How long do calming collars last?
- What are dog calming collar side effects?
- Are calming collars safe for dogs and puppies?
- Is a calming collar a miracle cure?
What is a calming collar for dogs?
It is a collar to help soothe and calm an anxious dog. Your dog may benefit from wearing a calming collar if nervous in certain situations such as:
- When left home alone (separation anxiety)
- On car trips or traveling
- Vet visits
- Other loud noises like hammering
- Changes to family life (new baby or pet, loss of family or pet)
Calming collars can help fearful dogs with stressful situations and anxiety. Stressful situations for fearful dogs can be anything, such as with Milo. He stresses when he is outside and hears a car, if there is something different in the house, if it is too windy outside, and the list goes on and on.
FYI – This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What does a calming collar do?
The scent or pheromone in the collar calms a dog the same way certain smells relax humans. Basically, it’s dog aromatherapy. Personally, I noticed I get a relaxing effect when Milo is on my lap and wearing the herbal calming collar. I’ve almost nodded off watching TV even when I wasn’t tired. The scent makes me a little sleepy.
How do calming collars work?
Dog calming collars use a variety of methods to help calm your dog. The most common are pheromones, herbal blends, and essential oils. The dog responds to the collar’s scent. Your dog may respond to one method better than another.
Pheromone dog collar – Dog calming collars which use synthetic DAP (dog appeasing pheromones).
Herbal calming collars – Made with dried herbs. The herbs should be food grade so they will not harm your dog if ingested.
Essential oil dog collar – Usually made with lavender and valerian oil. Essential oils can be harmful to dogs and should be used with caution.
Do calming collars work for dogs and puppies?
Many pheromone calming collar for dogs products claim they have been clinically proven to help with a wide range of issues. However, results are not guaranteed and can vary widely. I tried a calming pheromone dog collar on Milo and it had no effect on him. However, I know of dogs that benefited from wearing one.
The herbal calming collar I use for Milo claims a 95% success rate. I believe it because it works for him.
I haven’t found an essential oil collar with many positive reviews. It is why I have not tried using one for Milo and have no plans to try one for him.
Popular calming dog collars:
- Sentry calming collar for dogs – pheromone with lavender and chamomile fragrance
- PetArmor calming collar – pheromone
- Adaptil calming collar – pheromone
- Thunderease calming collar – pheromone
- Calm Paws calming collar – essential oils: lavender and valerian
- Calm Me Down Calming Pet Collar – herbal with lavender, chamomile, and balsam
What is the best calming collar for dogs?
My top pick is the Calm Me Down Herbal Calming Collar. It works for Milo and I highly recommend it. It’s more expensive than the other collars but lasts much longer (up to a year).
Get complete Calm Me Down collar information on the Calming Collars website.
Your dog may respond to a different collar. All you can do is try various ones until you find what works for your dog.
For extensive calming collar reviews, go to:
- Best Dog Calming Collars on Pet Life Today
- Top 6 Best Calming Collars for Dogs on Top Dog Tips
How long do calming collars last?
- Usually 4 weeks for pheromone calming collars.
- Up to 30 days for most essential oil calming collars.
- Herbal calming collars last 3 to 4 months if worn continuously or up to a year if stored in a sealed plastic bag in a dark place when not being worn.
What are dog calming collar side effects?
Generally, there are no side effects with a calming collar. Some dogs may have a mild allergic reaction. In a few cases, it can cause dogs to vomit. Watch your dog’s behavior and remove the collar if your dog has any negative reaction.
Are calming collars safe for dogs and puppies?
Calming collars are drug-free and use a natural process for calmness. The most popular products claim they are safe for all ages and breeds. Before using any calming collar, investigate each product for safety information and discuss it with your veterinarian.
Is a calming collar a miracle cure?
It helps but highly unlikely your dog will be completely relaxed. I can tell the difference when Milo is or isn’t wearing a calming collar during a thunderstorm or fireworks. The difference is worth it to me. Just to have him at stress level 3 instead of 10 is fantastic.
Have you tried a calming collar for your dog? If so, which one and how did it work for your dog? Comment below so others can benefit from your experience.
Pin this to save and share with your friends:
I used the pheromone and lavender cat version with Shadow.
Very interesting! Thank you so much! I will definitely try this.
Jilly Ruby Jane says
Great review. I have never tried this on my dog but it looks very interesting and nice.
Jilly Ruby Jane says
I will continue reading your website, I think that our cute dogs deserve such nice present.